"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere
" Van Gogh

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Oven-Baked blueberry French Toast

Here is a new recipe that I tried over the past weekend, Oven-baked blueberry french toast. Hubby saw this recipe in a magazine that we get called, American Lifestyle. It is a publication put out by Coldwell Relators. In every issue they have a few recipes from a cookbook and this one came from Cider Beans, Wild Greens and Dandelion Jelly - Joan E. Aller. So I gave this one a try for our Saturday breakfast. This was a start to our eating fest for Father's Day weekend.

Very good and I will make this again. This is a good seasonal recipe.

Ingredients
2 (8oz) packages cream cheese, at room temp.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
10 slices French bread, sliced in to 3/4 " thick
2 cups of fresh blueberries (Hubby says this was too many blueberries. I will try less the next time)
Maple syrup for serving
dusting also with confectioners' sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
beat the cream cheese, granulated sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl, with a stand mixer on medium speed, until well blended.

Add the eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition. Add the milk and mix well.

Arrange the bread in the baking dish, and spread the blueberries on top of the bread. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the bread. Let it stand for at least 15 minutes before baking (or cover the pan, and place in the refrigerator overnight). Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.

I did the overnight but the next time I will bake it the same day.

I also made some pesto from the basil that has starting to grow nicely. This week I have sown more seeds to give me continuous basil throughout the warm season. I also tried a new Chicken recipe from the Co0k's Illustrated "Italian Classics" . It was the Roast Chicken with Lemon. It was a very moist chicken due to the 3 hour brine bath. But it took longer to cook for me than the recipe stated. Two things may have contributed to this. My oven may not be calibrated properly. I will need to buy an over thermometer. The other is the walls on my roasting pan maybe too high. I think theses were the reasons for the longer cooking time. I have been wanting to buy a new roasting pan and now I think I will need to do that soon. I have been looking on line and they are not cheap but I think it will be worth it. The chicken was very good and moist as well.

Thanks for the visit and have a nice day.

2 comments:

John said...

I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

Carrie said...

Thank you for posting. I was looking everywhere for this recipe. I get the magazine but I think I accidentally threw away the recipe. I. Need it for Christmas brunch.