"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere
" Van Gogh

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Birthday Cards I Made

I have been working on some birthday cards for friends and family.  I used a neat paper pad by K& Co. called Olivia Rose.  A 2010 collection, designer Brenda Walton.  I have had this paper since then it was time to start using it. Here is a link that you can see the full collection.

How I got stared:   I looked at the  papers to see what size would be appropriate  for my cards.  This paper collection had a lot of large images and so I cut some vellum paper 5” x 7”. Seeing through vellum and moved it round the papers to see how much of the images I could get within this size.  Next was the color of the base of the cards and I went with a nice set of blank cards by Core’dinations, a David Tutera line that I purchased at Jo-ann Fabric, nice quality too.  They are a cream color and the packet comes with 48 cards and envelopes.

 Next, what theme of cards did I need?  Birthdays! of course.   I made a list and gave myself 2 weeks to work on them.  

I used  my sewing machine on few of the cards. The collection did come with different embellishment packets and I did purchase a few. I did make some embellishments as well. I will try to put items that I used for each card but if you have any questions, please ask. So here we go.



You can click on to the photos to see them larger.

 




The banner was made using Papertray Inks Christmas die set “Love Lives Here”.   I using the top portion of the christmas tree as the banner. I cut the that portion of the die  twice and used foam squares to give a 3-D look, it work perfect.  Hubby also looked at the die set and said that the middle portion of the tree could be used for a lamp shade.  Another way to use this die set.  

For the flower I used   My Favorite Things PRETTY POSIES Die-Namics MFT and for the leaf I used Papertray ink die called “Rosie Posie”.  I popped one the the smaller flowers using foam tape.  The sentiment is computer generated.  I also used Stickles in crystal, (a favorite of mine), on the card to give it a nice shimmer.  





The inside of the card: I used Sizzix frame and decorative corner dies. The sentiment is from Hero Arts clear set called “Yummy Treat, CL489”. I have used this stamp on most of the cards.









The flower at the top left corner is the “pretty posie” die, rick rack along each side of the decorative paper is a die Papertray Ink.  The green leaves is from a die set called “Folk Art Florals” by W-plus 9 Design Studio, LLC. Butterflies punch by Martha Stewart. The bird at the lower right corner is a paper die from the collection.  I did did some stitching on the butterflies and on the “happy birthday” sentiment.   







Inside of the card: scalloped scissors, Spellbinders oval set, paper die from the collection and the sentiment from the Hero Arts collection.





From my chipboard stash, I made a standing card.To stand it up, I used 5” an easel back (with an adhesive backing), purchased at Dick Blicks.  Inked the edged of the chipboard with white paint. To add some shimmer to the paper I applied Stickles (crystal) to the flowers  at the top. Fussy cut leaves from the paper. Made roses using one of the flowers from the Tim Holtz “tattered florals” die, crystal Stickles were added to them also. Small light blue half backed pearls. The small tag came from a Sizzix die called "Tags scallop combo #2". The sentiment was done on the computer. The bird is a Tim Holtz die called “caged bird”. I used crystal Stickles on the edge and also inked with walnut stain ink. The leaf branch the bird is on is a die from WPlus 9 design studio, LLC die set “folk art florals”. I used this die on a lot the cards. I stamped on the leaves a text stamp by Stampendous clear set called “friendship assortment #SSC1116”.  The tiny flower below the bird was a tiny flower punch. Added a flower stamen purchased at Michaels in their wedding section.



There’s a song in the air is a dollar stamp by Studio G that I purchased at Jo-ann store a while ago. I did some fussy cutting on portions of the paper.  This particular sheet had some foam images (flowers and banner) that added a neat texture. Butterfly punch, green rhinestone accent on one of the butterflies, Stickles in crystal and yellow and the happy birthday sentiment from the “yummy treat” stamp set. I did some inking around the edges of the paper and card base. 






The paper had already two butterfly images and I added one more at the lower right corner using a Spellbinders set, “fanciful flight”. Added script text using a Crafty Individuals cling stamp #C95.161.O.  Floral spray die by Memory Box called “honeyblossmon sprig”. Did some sewing too.   



Inside of the card: The “happy birthday” is from the “tasty treats” stamp set, butterfly is from the Tim Holtzs visula artistry collection called “heartfelt”, the floral stamp is a Hero Arts cling called “wildflower garden set”.  I used Versa color pinkecone and Papertry Ink color spring moss.


 This is an 5” x 7” envelope that I purchased at the Paper Source store.  They are called “pocket folder enclosures”, 10 per pack. I cover the envelope with the decorative paper and embellished  with a fabric flower (flaxence barley) by Prima Marketing Inc., die cut tag, some stitching around the paper, inked the edges with distress ink, walnut stain. Used a Martha Stewart border punch and some ribbon for a tab for easy opening.  I used round mini magnets for as the closures, purchased at Jo-ann Fabric store.  


Inside the envelope: Used more of the decorative papers, flower and corner dies from the collection.  There is a pocket that can be used for a gift card, tag or a thin card. Stamped sentiments are from Hero Arts “yummy treats” and “all occasion messages”.
The back of the envelope.  The stamped "simply handmade" is a clear stamp set by Hero Arts called "so artsy".




Used the same die to make the banner. Pink bakers twine from Hemptique. Purchased sequinses from Jo-ann Fabric store, the pink shimmery brads from Creative Impressions. Nesting label by Quick Kutz (cookie cutter). The sentiment is from a clear stamp set called “the country diary of an Edwardian Lady”. This came with my subscription of Cardmaking & papercraft.  Same brach die and flower punches. Used for the flower centers half back rhinestones. Inside of the card: used decorative papers to cover the backing of the brands. Same sentiments stamp by Hero Arts and a flower die from the collection. 



A few more covered envelopes.  The lantern banner is a K&Company product.

My Favorite Things banner die, tiny flower punch, half back pearls. Spellbinders lacy circle die and labels die. Stamped sentiment and dress is from a clear stamp set by Fiskars.  Baby roses are Prima.
Inside the card: used scalloped scissors, sentiment is a clear stamp set by Penny Black called "gratitude"and the stamped scripture is a cling stamp from Our Daily Bread Design, Peace and Joy set.
Simple A2 size cards.  blank inside for any kind of quick note.


Thinking of you always: die cut flower and border from the collection, Sizzix tag, sentiment set by Hero Arts. Added yellow Stickles to the dots. 

Thank you: Used a couple of stamps from the clear set called “friendship assortment” by Stampendous. Just stamp here and there on the paper.


 Sending warm wishes: Size A2 card in kraft card stock.  Used left over scraps, lilly and poppy are stickers by Cavallini Paper & Company, Flora & Fauna Sticker collection (2009). Sentiment set by Hero Arts.


And this cards just has a flower using a die cut and fussy cut out some leaves from the paper.  Butterfly puch and some stitching.  Inside of the card I using a large label die to cut out "dwell in ......" sentiment. Die cut flowers in the corner.



I hope I gave you some ideas for work with large images on decorative papers .  I enjoyed working with these papers and I do have a some die cuts and sheets of paper left over for something else down the road.  Now, clean up time and I need to get back to some more tea towel and gardening.
Thank you for your visit and have a wonderful day.





No comments: