"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere
" Van Gogh

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Poppy Flowers - Heirloom Pepperbox (Kitchen Herbs)

(Click on to the photos to see the larger)

 Before it started to rain (Wednesday the 26th), I pick a few more larkspurs and  I noticed there where two poppies beginning to open. I did not want the rains to ruin them so I brought them inside.  They made the perfect touch to the purple larkspurs.

 I could not keep my eye off them throughout the day.  So delicate.  A crepe paper look to them.
 In the afternoon, I noticed the flower started to close up.  


 This one was the tightest of the flower buds.








 The second morning, they started to open up again. 


 It was if they were opening and stretching their petals out to heaven as to give there morning thanks to God. A good reminder for me to do the same more often.


 The centers of the poppies make a perfect cross.  A reminder for me to prepare for the celebration of the resurrection  of my Lord and Savior.

 THE THIRD MORNING. . . 


 I notice that one of the poppies lost its petals. Later on that day, the second poppy lost its  petals
They last about 2 to 3 days, depending when you cut them.


"The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever.”
Isaiah 40:8 (NKJ)


 I definitely want more of these in my garden, but in the back yard this time.  They have earned their place in my garden. The poppies were sown by seed.  The seed packet came from Renee's Garden.  They are called Heirloom Pepperbox Poppy .  You can see a few photos of the other colors on the their website. I do see a few more pods.

Outside this weekend . . .
Rain!  
I have been working with my pressed flowers this passed week.  Here is a photo of one of the eggs I have just finished.
Rainy days make perfect crafting day.  Hope to show you more on my next post.
Have a wonderful day and Hello to March.

5 comments:

Freda said...

I am wondering where you live that you have larkspur and poppies on the first of March?! (If you sear the ends of the stems with a flame they do last a little longer by the way..)

Bobbie Lynn said...

Dear Freda,
In Southern California. We have not had much of a winter here. We have had Spring like weather for a long while. This is the first in a long while since we are having winter. A lot of rain at the moment.

Thank you for the tip too. I will try it next time. Thank your for your visit too.

Julia said...

Me encantan las fotografías, son geniales. Ha estado un regalo el visitar tu bloc, te invito visitar el mio y si te gusta espero que te hagas seguidora.
Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

Marlene Plasencia said...

Hi Bobbie Lynn, loving your Poppies and lark. I never notice the cross before, so true is perfect for Easter, how wonderful. So glad that you got a bit of much needed rain. I've been watching on TV about the drought, so sad. Praying for more rain your way.
Blessing,
Marlene

Down by the sea said...

I'm glad you picked these lovely flowers before the rain came. I love poppies and the colour of these are so pretty. The wooden doll you had in the background reminded me of one that I had as a child. Sarah x