"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere
" Van Gogh

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Garden Week 25: Waltham Butternut Squash

A quick post



Hubby and I picked 5 butternut squashes.

We did weight them and they ranged starting with the smallest 1-1/4 pounds to the largest 2 -3/4 pounds.  
There was another one  that did not make it into the photo.  It is in the refrigerator  due to it splitting while it was on the vine.  It was fine one morning and later that afternoon I notice one  had split. My mistake, I feed the vines too much (read on line).  Once they start to turn color, no more feeding.  Just make sure they get enough water.  Also, not enough or too much water will make them split but I am pretty sure it was the over feeding.
A lesson learned.  

Hubby and I decided to take the ones that looked and felt ripe. We did not want to risk the others splitting. 

For now, I will use them as Fall decor around the house.  I will be cooking the split one soon and I will let you know how it turned out.
It was the first time growing them so I hope they are good.  They look beautiful.

Total weight of the 5 plus the one in the refrigerator totals:  11- 3/4 pounds.  


There are three more left on the last vine to ripen.  

I started them from seed. The first day I sowed them into large peat pots was April 28th.
I transferred them into the garden June 3rd.

About 18 weeks in total.


Thank you for stopping by and I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
Blessings





4 comments:

Janneke said...

These butternut squashes look beautiful as autumn decoration and....after decoration time you even can eat them, so double pleasure of them. I never tried these and I wonder if they will grow in our climate. Do you have a good recipe for them, I cannot think more then soup or a pie. I am looking forward to your trials.

Bev C said...

Hello Bobbie Lynn,

Certainly a great crop. We call these Butternut pumpkins here in Australia. They are wonderful to eat.

Happy days.
Bev.

Leanne said...

Your butternut pumpkins as we call them look great, I hope they are nice to eat, Do you make pumpkin pie? I have a recipe for a pumpkin and blueberry cake, Its delicious. I will send it to you.

Marlene Plasencia said...

Oh my dear what a beautiful harvest of butternut squash. They look beautiful and kinda big too. So now you know for next year. Wish me well with my tomatoes, my new goal for this year. It's my spring time, just started seeds. Our planting season down here is all backwards, lol. Let us know when you prepare your squash. I'm thinking olive oil???? yum.
Blessing,
Marlene