"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere
" Van Gogh

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie Turn Overs

Here is something new that I tried

Chicken Pot Pie Turnovers



Hubby and I like the way they turnout.


I've had this recipe for a while. I had cut it out from my Country Living magazine, 
2012

If you want to give it a try here it is, "Chicken Potpie Turnovers"

One thing I would do next time is to add more of the reserved milk. I wanted the pies to have more liquid in them.  I also used whole milk.

The recipe calls out for store bought empanada disks, which you can purchase at your local Mexican markets, but I just made the dough myself (regular pot pie pastry)

Pot Pie pastry

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening (chill your shortening)
6 to 8 tablespoons cold water

Combine flower and salt, cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.  Sprinkle cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time.  Stir with a fork until dry dough comes together.
Shape into a ball and chill

I made my disks a bit thicker so the turnovers would hold the mixture in better. 

I also prepared my disk ahead of time and just layered parchment paper in-inbetween and covered the try with plastic wrap.  When you are ready to start making them, just take them out of the refrigerator for a bit to soften.


It is almost the weekend, yay!

Have a good one. 

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

These look and sound amazing! I have only had fruit turnovers so this would be a nice, tasty change. Thanks for sharing!

Hugs and blessings!

Julie said...

YUMMMMM!!!