"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere
" Van Gogh

Friday, July 20, 2018

Sitting In My Garden

 This has been a difficult summer for my garden.  The sudden heat wave that we had a couple of weeks ago was just too much for a lot of my plants.  I lost 3 of my cucumbers, scorched tomatoes and 7 of my roses, gone.  So sad, but maybe it is time to rethink my garden layout.  I will not replace the roses that I lost.  After the summer season I will do some adjustments.

 One of my Cosmo flowers just bloomed and it is a beauty.  A dear friend sent me a seed packet of a Cosmo mix called "dancing petticoats, from Renee's Garden.  The mix includes the blend of "Seashells, photo above, "Psyche and "Versailles".  The colors on the packet mentions a range of amazing colors.  So I can't wait for the others to start blooming.

The heat not only effected the plants, but our winged friends as well.  We found dead birds and bees too. The crows would sit on our lawn and pant.  I set up in my garden a makeshift bird bath for them.  I had to fill it up a few times on those extremely hot days.  For now, I will just leave it until I buy an actual birdbath, but I do not think they care what it looks like.  They love having it around.  When I step out into the backyard, there is usually one or several birds drinking from it.


 Sunset


A little bird thinking where it wants to go next or just enjoying the late afternoon.



 A rose bush trying to recover.  Let's see how the rest of the summer goes.

1 comment:

Down by the sea said...

That is such a shame that you have lost so many of your lovely roses and the heat has affected the wildlife. I have a similar cosmos in your garden too there are some wonderful varieties of cosmos these days, it makes the common ones look so ordinary. Sarah x